APB Program Elements
The APB Instrument
The APB instrument consists of a multisource feedback evaluation form for raters, and a self-evaluation form for individuals being assessed.
The components of the forms are:
- 23 behavioral items rated on a frequency scale
- One global assessment item (not on self-evaluation)
- Two free-text comment areas to record behaviors that merit commendation and behaviors that may be a focus for improvement
- Two questions regarding the amount of contact the observer had with the observee during the observation period (not on self-evaluation)
Individual feedback reports are generated at the end of a defined observation period for practicing physicians and trainees for whom at least three evaluations have been completed. These reports serve as a catalyst for discussion during face-to-face feedback sessions with feedback recipients and their mentors.
Training and Support
NBME specialists are available to you throughout your APB setup and implementation. Our team offers:
- Introductory webinars for programs just getting on board
- Guidance on multisource feedback practices
- Online, on-demand training for raters on how to use the APB instrument effectively
- Online training for feedback providers (mentors) who meet with feedback recipients to discuss behavioral improvement
- Ongoing e-mail and phone support