For Students and Graduates of Medical Schools in the United States and Canada Accredited by the LCME or AOA
The United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) is a three-step examination for medical licensure in the United States and is sponsored by the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME®). The definitive source of information about USMLE is the USMLE Bulletin of Information, which is available along with additional information on the USMLE website.
Students and graduates of medical schools in the United States or Canada accredited by the LCME or AOA may apply to take USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 on NLES (NBME Licensing Examination Services). Eligible applicants may register to take Step 1 or Step 2 CK within a three-month eligibility period, such as February 1 – April 30 or March 1 – May 31. Eligibility periods that include months in the upcoming year typically become available for registration by mid-September. Eligible applicants for Step 2 CS will be assigned a 12-month eligibility period starting on the date their registration is entered into the Step 2 CS scheduling system.
Follow USMLE on Social Media!
- NLES (the NBME Licensing Examination Services website)
- USMLE Bulletin of Information
- Guidelines to request Test Accommodations (for individuals with documented disabilities who demonstrate a need for accommodation)
- Content Descriptions & Practice Materials
- Essential Information about Planning to Apply for Step 2 CS
- Examination Fees