Schools & Residency Programs
The NBME provides assessment services to medical schools, students and residents through a number of programs.
Medical School and Student Assessments
- Web-based Customized Assessment Services (CAS) allow medical school faculty to create examinations tailored to local curriculum from a pool of test items covering topics commonly taught in basic science coursework. CAS now offers pre-designed organ system blueprints which you can select to create tests for use in integrated courses.
- The Global Evaluation Management System® (GEMS®) is a comprehensive, integrated online platform for creating, managing and delivering examinations.
- The Subject Examination Program includes the discipline-based basic and clinical science subject exams, the comprehensive basic science and clinical science exams, and the advanced clinical exams (designed to assess performance at the end of the medical school sub-internship).
- The NBME offers web-based Self-Assessments for US and international medical students and graduates; a voucher program is available for medical schools.
- Faculty Services include item-writing workshops, and Medical School Liaison activities include the Advisory Committee for Medical School Programs.
- The web-based Advanced Clinical Examinations (ACE) are designed to assess performance at the end of the medical school sub-internship. Residency program directors have also found them useful for assessing baseline competency of incoming residents. The ACE aids in early identification of knowledge gaps so that instruction may be tailored accordingly.
- NBME Clinical Science Subject Examinations: New Score Scale Now in Effect
- Characteristics of Clinical Clerkships: NBME Survey Results
- Emergency Medicine Advanced Clinical(ACE)
- Internal Medicine Advanced Clinical(ACE)
- Pediatrics Advanced Clinical(ACE)
- Surgery Advanced Clinical(ACE)
- Family Medicine Modular Examination