Comprehensive Self-Assessment Services
The NBME offers three web-based self-assessments to medical students and graduates evaluating their readiness to take USMLE:
- Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment (CBSSA)
The CBSSA uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during basic science medical education courses. The content of the CBSSA items resembles the content of those in Step 1 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®).
- Comprehensive Clinical Science Self-Assessment (CCSSA)
The CCSSA uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during the core clinical clerkships. The content of the CCSSA items resembles the content of those in Step 2 CK of the USMLE.
- Comprehensive Clinical Medicine Self-Assessment (CCMSA)
The CCMSA uses information typically covered in clinical encounters. The content of the CCMSA items resembles the content of those in the multiple-choice component of Step 3 of the USMLE.
NBME research demonstrates that under certain circumstances there is a moderate relationship between performance on the CBSSA and CCSSA and subsequent Step 1 or Step 2 CK. US and International medical students and graduates may find these self-assessments to be valuable tools as they prepare for USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK.
- An individual performance profile with diagnostic feedback that highlights areas of strength and weakness
- A score interpretation guide with a conversion table that translates an assessment score to an approximated total score on the USMLE score scale (not available for CCMSA)
- The ability to review the correct answer for all items, and
- Longitudinal feedback provided when multiple assessments are completed
Click here to review a sample performance feedback report
Please see the table below for essential information about these self-assessments.
|Format||Multiple forms: 200 multiple-choice items each.||Multiple forms: 184 multiple-choice items each.||Multiple forms: 176 multiple-choice items each.|
|Standard-Paced||Four sections; 50 items each. Up to 1 hour, 15 minutes to complete each section.||Four sections; 46 items each. Up to 1 hour, 9 minutes to complete each section.||Five sections; 50-66 items each. Up to 45 minutes to complete each section.|
|Self-Paced||Four sections; 50 items each. Up to 5 hours to complete each section.||Four sections, 46 items each. Up to 4 hours, 36 minutes to complete each section.||Five sections; 36 items each. Between 3 hours and 20 minutes to 4 hours and 24 minutes.|
|Access & Assessment||Self-Assessments are delivered over the Web. You must log in to access a self-assessment and complete it within 90 days. You may sign off and resume/continue a self-assessment at any time during the 90 day period.|
|Fees||These self-assessments are available for a fee of $60.00 in US currency. Payment is non-refundable.|