TAKING AN NBME® SUBJECT EXAMINATION
TAKING AN NBME® SUBJECT EXAMINATION
NBME Subject Exams help medical schools measure their students’ knowledge across a broad range of topics.
Demonstrate Your Knowledge and View Performance Feedback
Taking an NBME Subject Exam enables you to demonstrate your mastery of the knowledge and skills needed to become a successful physician and progress on your journey through medical school. Plus, with performance feedback reports that identify your relative strengths and weaknesses across content areas, you can learn where you need to improve and better target your studies going forward.
- Exam Content
- Taking an Exam
- 2022 Score Report Changes
- Performance Feedback
- Exam Rules & Conduct
The following is a full list of our available Subject Exams. To learn more about the specific topics covered on each exam, access the complete content outlines by clicking the Content Outlines button.
Taking an Exam
Preparing to take a Subject Exam?
Here are some tips to help you get ready for test day:
- Take an NBME Self-Assessment from our Clinical Science Mastery Series (for the Clinical Science Subject Exams) or the Comprehensive Self-Assessments (for the Comprehensive Basic Science or the Comprehensive Clinical Science Subject Exams)
- View the exam Subject Exam Timing Chart
- Access Subject Exam Content & Sample Items
2022 Score Report Changes
Beginning in late February of 2022, the Comprehensive Basic Science Subject Exam score reports will include an equated percent correct score. Learn more about this update by accessing the resources below.
Interview with NBME Specialists About Score Report Changes
Tour the New Score Report
Updated Sample Score Reports
- See an interactive, annotated sample score report
- Download an unannotated version of the sample score report
If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding the changes, please submit a request here.
Individual Performance Profiles are available for many Subject Exams.
Profiles are intended for distribution to examinees as an aid in self-assessment. For each major content area on the exam, examinee performance is displayed graphically with performance bands representing areas of strength and weakness.
An examinee version of the Score Interpretation Guide is provided with each profile.
Sample Performance Feedback Reports
Exam Rules & Conduct
The examination materials used in NBME examinations are the confidential, copyrighted property of NBME. If you reproduce and/or distribute examination materials, by any means, including reconstruction through memorization without the express written consent of NBME, you are in violation of the rights of the owners. Every legal means available to protect NBME examination materials and secure redress against those who violate copyright law may be pursued.
- The confidentiality of examination content must be maintained at all times. You are prohibited from communicating, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any part of your exam, in any form, or by any means, verbal or written, for any purpose.
- If you become aware of any suspicious activity related to an NBME exam administration, notify the proctor or submit a report.
- NBME reserves the right to discontinue examination services to an institution at any time in order to maintain the security and integrity of NBME’s examination program.
- Do not bring any personal/unauthorized items into the secure testing area. Such items include but are not limited to, outerwear, hats, food, drinks, purses, briefcases, notebooks, notes, pagers, watches, cell phones, recording devices, and photographic equipment.
- You are not permitted to access any unauthorized items during the exam administration.
- Do not make notes on your note board prior to entering your CIN or start up code. Once your exam begins, you are permitted to make calculations or notes ONLY on the erasable note board provided.
- You must adhere to the instructions provided by proctors administering the examination.
- Carefully review and agree to abide by any instructions provided or that appear at the start of the examination session.
- Test proctors are not authorized to answer questions from examinees regarding examination content, testing software or scoring.
- Do not leave the testing site at any time during your administration unless you inform and obtain permission from the testing proctor or are instructed to so do by test administration staff.
- Failure to follow test day rules and procedures may result in the withholding or cancellation of your scores, and/or a bar from future exams administered by NBME.
If you are testing at a Prometric test center, please review the instructions on your scheduling permit and familiarize yourself with Prometric’s testing center regulations
NBME encourages you to provide information concerning any activity of which you are aware that may compromise the security and integrity of the NBME’s examinations. Please contact NBME using our contact form to report such information.