Test Administrations for Individuals
For general information about the International Foundations of Medicine® (IFOM®) exams , please visit this page.
For complete and detailed information about IFOM exam individual administrations, please read the Candidate Brochure.
While many administrations of the IFOM examinations are arranged and conducted by schools and other institutions at their sites and on behalf of their examinees, the National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME®) also makes the IFOM Clinical Science Examination (CSE) and the IFOM Basic Science Examination (BSE) available for individual administrations two times per year.
Individuals can use this option in a variety of circumstances, including:
- Personal benchmarking or practice
- Application to a residency program, exchange program, or other opportunity that accepts IFOM scores
- The examinee’s school or program is conducting an on-site IFOM administration but the examinee is separated geographically from their institution
The IFOM CSE and BSE are available to individuals in English only, at participating Prometric Test Centers located in approximately 50 countries around the world.
There are two 8-week test administration periods per year; registration for each administration period is open for 4 weeks. Please note the 2019 dates for registration, status verification, and testing, below:
|2019 Exam Administration Windows||2019 Exam Registration Periods||2019 Status Verification Deadlines|
|25 March - 17 May||2 January – 1 February, 2019||3 May, 2019|
|16 September - 8 November||1 July - 26 July||25 October, 2019|
NOTE: Important Process Change in 2019
Beginning in 2019 (registration opens 2 January), scheduling permits — which enable examinees to secure a testing appointment at a Prometric Testing Center — will be distributed only after examinee eligibility is verified by their medical school (see below and in the Candidate Brochure)
Examinees are strongly encouraged to register for the exam and begin the status verification process as early as possible after registration opens, thus making it more likely that they will be verified in time to secure a seat at their preferred Prometric Testing Center location on their preferred date(s).
Eligibility and Status Verification
To be eligible to take IFOM exams as an individual, you must be a current medical student or a medical school graduate. The NBME and the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates® (ECFMG) will confirm your status with your medical school through a verification process.
How to Apply for IFOM Exams as an Individual
For complete and detailed information about IFOM exam individual administration, please read the Candidate Brochure.
- Register for your exam on the webpage www.mynbme.org (or click the "Register" button below). Registration is only possible during the registration periods listed above.
- Pay for the exam with a major credit card. The costs shown below include the exam fee, eligibility verification, and seat time at the Prometric Test Center.
- Download the Status Verification Form, which you will send to your medical school. Officials at your medical school will complete the form and send it directly to the ECFMG. ECFMG must receive the required paperwork no later than one week prior to the start of the test window or you will not be permitted to take the exam.
- After your eligibility is verified, you will receive a testing permit by email and will then visit the Prometric website to choose a test site and time.
|Fee for Individual IFOM Examinations at Prometric Test Centers (Per Exam)|
The IFOM Clinical Science Self-Assessment
The IFOM Clinical Science Self-Assessment is available for purchase at all times; the price is US $35. For more information about the IFOM Self-Assessment visit this page; to order the IFOM Self-Assessment as an individual, please visit this page.