NBME Self-Assessments are practice tests for the NBME Subject Exams and the USMLE® Steps 1 and 2 that include in-depth performance reports to help you measure your students' progress and provide them with actionable feedback.
NBME offers a variety of web-based self-assessments to domestic and international medical students and graduates.
Click on each self-assessment type below to learn more.
The Comprehensive Self-Assessments help students to evaluate their readiness to take the USMLE Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge, and Step 3 examinations.
The following three self-assessments are included:
Comprehensive Basic Science
- Uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during basic science medical education courses
- Content resembles that of the USMLE Step 1
Comprehensive Clinical Science
- Uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during the core clinical clerkships
- Content resembles that of the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge
Comprehensive Clinical Medicine
- Uses information typically covered in clinical encounters
- Content resembles that of the USMLE Step 3
The Clinical Mastery Series assesses understanding of the clinical sciences and readiness for the clinical science Subject Exams.
These self-assessments are built to the same content specifications as the NBME Clinical Science Subject Exams and are offered in the following content areas:
- Clinical Neurology
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
The IFOM Clinical Science Self-Assessment measures readiness to take the International Foundations of Medicine Clinical Science Exam.
Built to the same content specifications as the IFOM Clinical Science Examination, this self-assessment is primarily for medical students who want to assess their knowledge of the clinical sciences in advance of taking their exam.
How It Works
The Self-Assessment Services Voucher Program is offered to medical schools, residency programs and other medical education organizations interested in purchasing self-assessments for their students. Institutions are able to:
- Order vouchers for the self-assessment through the MyNBME Services Portal
- Assign a specific form number to voucher IDs
- Download prepaid voucher IDs and distribute them to students
- Track the redemption of vouchers
- Track voucher expiration*
- Monitor the completion of self-assessments
- View performance feedback for completed self-assessments
*Voucher IDs are good for one year from the NBME date of issue
View the Voucher Program Guide to learn more.
2022 Score Report Changes
The Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment score report now gives examinees a more holistic and actionable view of their study progress.
With equated percent correct scores for their overall and content area performance, your students will find greater detail on their strengths and weaknesses to better plan their study time. In addition, longitudinal data shows progress and areas to focus on over time by assessing content mastery and changes across multiple Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessments. Learn more about these updates through the resources below.
Updated Sample Score Reports
- See an interactive, annotated sample score report
- Download an unannotated version of the sample score report
Tour the New CBSSA Score Report
If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding the changes, please submit a request here.
Upon completion of their self-assessment, examinees will gain access to performance feedback reports, which they can access through their MyNBME account.
As the exam administrator, you can view feedback within 24 hours of exam completion.
This gives you access to the following through the MyNBME Services Portal:
- Examinee name
- Scaled score
- Voucher ID used
- Associated exam form
- Timing mode
Visit the Taking a Self-Assessment page to learn about the performance feedback for examinees.
Sample Performance Feedback Reports
Receive a 10% discount with the purchase of 50 or more vouchers.
|Self-Assessment Type||Fee (Per Voucher)|
|Clinical Science Mastery Series||$20.00|
|IFOM Clinical Science Self-Assessment||$35.00|
Students interested in purchasing a self-assessment can learn more on the Taking an Assessment page.
Interested in learning more about the Self-Assessments or another NBME product?
Complete the consultation request form to get in touch with NBME staff.
Stay Up to Date
Join our mailing list to get the latest updates from NBME.