With the Self-Assessment Voucher Program, faculty can purchase self-assessments for students preparing to take an NBME exam.
Purchase Self-Assessments for Your Students
Self-assessments help students practice for their upcoming exam and gain a familiarity with NBME-style questions. They also enable faculty to assess the readiness of their students to take the USMLE®, Subject Exams, or International Foundations of Medicine Exam®.
Medical schools, residency programs, and other medical education organizations can purchase self-assessments through our Voucher Program.
2021 Form Updates
Help Your Students Learn More than Their Score
In addition to providing predictive scores, the 2021 NBME Self-Assessment forms will now feature in-depth answer explanations. This gives your students access to comprehensive feedback so they can:
- Quickly identify mistakes and learn the rationale behind the correct answer
- Reinforce knowledge as they prepare for their upcoming exam
- Maximize study time with less need to consult external sources
2021 Forms Examinee FAQs
NBME offers a variety of web-based self-assessments to domestic and international medical students and graduates.
Click on each self-assessment type below to learn more.
The Comprehensive Self-Assessments help students to evaluate their readiness to take the USMLE Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge, and Step 3 examinations.
The following three self-assessments are included:
Comprehensive Basic Science
- Uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during basic science medical education courses
- Content resembles that of the USMLE Step 1
Comprehensive Clinical Science
- Uses multiple-choice items based on information typically covered during the core clinical clerkships
- Content resembles that of the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge
Comprehensive Clinical Medicine
- Uses information typically covered in clinical encounters
- Content resembles that of the USMLE Step 3
The Clinical Mastery Series assesses understanding of the clinical sciences and readiness for the clinical science Subject Exams.
These self-assessments are built to the same content specifications as the NBME Clinical Science Subject Exams and are offered in the following content areas:
- Clinical Neurology
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
The IFOM Clinical Science Self-Assessment measures readiness to take the International Foundations of Medicine Clinical Science Exam.
Built to the same content specifications as the IFOM Clinical Science Examination, this self-assessment is primarily for medical students who want to assess their knowledge of the clinical sciences in advance of taking their exam.
How It Works
The Self-Assessment Services Voucher Program is offered to medical schools, residency programs and other medical education organizations interested in purchasing self-assessments for their students. Institutions are able to:
- Order vouchers for the self-assessment through the MyNBME Services Portal
- Assign a specific form number to voucher IDs
- Download prepaid voucher IDs and distribute them to students
- Track the redemption of vouchers
- Track voucher expiration*
- Monitor the completion of self-assessments
- View performance feedback for completed self-assessments
*Voucher IDs are good for one year from the NBME date of issue
View the Voucher Program Guide to learn more.
Upon completion of their self-assessment, examinees will gain access to performance feedback reports, which they can access through their MyNBME account.
As the exam administrator, you can view feedback within 24 hours of exam completion.
This gives you access to the following through the MyNBME Services Portal:
- Examinee name
- Scaled score
- Voucher ID used
- Associated exam form
- Timing mode
Visit the Taking a Self-Assessment page to learn about the performance feedback for examinees.
Sample Performance Feedback Reports
Receive a 10% discount with the purchase of 50 or more vouchers.
|Self-Assessment Type||Fee (Per Voucher)|
|Clinical Science Mastery Series||$20.00|
|IFOM Clinical Science Self-Assessment||$35.00|
Students interested in purchasing a self-assessment can learn more on the Taking an Assessment page.
Other NBME Exams:
Subject Exams allow you to measure your students’ knowledge and understand how their performance compares to examinees in medical schools throughout the United States.
Customized Assessment Services
Customized Assessment Services enables you to create your own exam using secure NBME item banks.
International Foundations of Medicine® Program
The International Foundations of Medicine Program provides high-quality exams to medical schools and other organizations around the world.